Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Kitchen Cleanup!

So let's pretend today is Monday (for simple the purpose that I had planned to post this on Monday). The flu or something similar is going around my office and my group of friends  and Sunday I was feeling less than amazing, so I didn't finish editing all the photos. 

As part of A Bowl Full of Lemons Home Organization 101, I spent the weekend cleaning and organizing my kitchen (as well as a few other fun things as well, but I'll save that for the end of the post ;) )

 In the interest of full disclosure, here are my before photos... since I didn't clean (besides running the dishwasher), it's extra scary for you :)




No matter how much I try, the bar/ counter seems to get incredibly messy. It's a dumping ground for anything and everything that I might run around the house with :)

Some of my cabinets were not that bad, but still could use a little work. The lower cabinets seem to be the worst about getting cluttered and disorganized. And the junk drawer....well..it's a junk drawer :)

I gathered a few containers that I thought might come in handy while organizing. I ended up switching out the basket for the coffee and tea. 




I started with with the drawers. They were the easiest to empty, purge and organize as I put everything back. Here are the results:


The empty junk drawer....




And then with everything added back (minus anything I could toss or that actually went somewhere else (like the lollipop sticks). 


Here is the right side knife/utensil drawer.


I love those Oliver plates....

And here the flatware drawer (with a few more pieces than my before photo.) I got new flatware for Christmas, and so I need a new flatware tray (that has a bit more space) so this drawer will have another makeover soon :)



As for the cabinets, the upper cabinets didn't need too much work. I switched the basket with the extra coffee and tea, and removed a few items that were old or never used (or missing lids).  

I tossed all the lids for the storage containers that no longer had containers. I always tossed misc lids in that cabinet, thinking I would find their mate, but it never happened. I also recently switched to glass storage containers, so with just those up there, it feels nice and fresh.

I just straightened things up in the cabinets above the stove and fridge.

(and all of that apparently didn't get photographed... :( )

I did however get lots of shots of my clutter free counters!


As for the lower cabinets, these got a bit more of an overhaul. I took the cake carriers out and I'll be making a space for them once again in the pantry. When J was living here I needed to make more room for two people in the pantry, but now I have the place to myself again, and can use the space a little more efficiently! I moved my trays down to this cabinet, and straightened out the other baking supplies. I also moved the utensils that I use only for baking down to this cabinet. I used to keep them on the counter but it was just too cluttered.


In the appliance cabinet, I moved a few things around and got rid of my mini George Foreman. I haven't used it in over a year.... so it seemed like a safe bet to let it go.

I'm saving the inside of the fridge and freezer for the same day I clear out and organize the pantry, but I did do a little de-cluttering to the front/side of the fridge. I have a crazy amount of magnets... and no one needs that many, so a few got to stay, a few moved to the studio for use, and a few got put in the "junk" drawer so that if they are needed, they aren't far away. a new menu planning board (purchased as Target). 


So that's the first of many organizing projects over the next few weeks. I'll be tackling the fridge and pantry at the same time...and my studio is always in progress.










No comments:

Post a Comment